Patient Care Instructions for Puma Pro™ Spinal Brace
Putting on your Puma Pro Brace
- Loosen the belt straps and place the Velcro hook straps in the home position on each belt. Then extend the back straps out as far as they will go.
- Holding the left belt against the front of your body, fasten the right belt with snug tension on top of the left belt.
- Position the brace so that the back shell is centered on your back so the lower curve of the brace is positioned on the curve of your spine and the front plate is centered.
- Pull both of the belt straps simultaneously to the highest compression you can comfortably tolerate, then lay them down, right over left, on the belt.
- If your Puma brace has a chest plate (STEP) with over-the-shoulder straps, you can either put the brace on like a t-shirt, slipping it over your head or if that is too difficult, you may unbuckle one of the straps before you remove the brace.
Tips for putting on your Puma Pro Brace
- We recommend wearing a cotton t-shirt under the brace. You may wear the brace directly on the skin but it’s far easier to throw a t-shirt in the hamper than to hand wash and air-dry the Puma brace.
- If donning the Puma brace as we’ve suggested is difficult for you, an alternate method is to lay the brace flat on the bed, then lie down on top of it with the back shell in the correct position. It will be easier to fasten in the front this way for two reasons:
- No need to hold the brace in place against gravity.
- This supine position allows gravity to pull your soft tissue inward, making the straps easier to tighten.
Taking off your Puma Pro Brace
- Loosen the belt straps, placing the Velcro hook onto the home position at the sides of the belt.
- Unfasten the belt by pulling the right belt loose from the left belt.
- Lay the brace down taking care that the Velcro does not touch knits or other fabrics, as it could cause damage.
Cleaning your Puma Pro Brace
Hand wash the brace with mild soap and cool water and dry flat between bath towels. To do this, you must disassemble your Puma brace using the steps below.
- Remove the polymer plate from the front pocket on the belt.
- Lift the back pad off of the shell.
- Detach the two belt-retainer straps (Image 1)by sliding the strap through the slot and removing it from around the belt.
- Detach the Velcro hooks from the center of the polymer shell to free the belt from the back shell.
Reassembling your Puma Pro Brace
- Lay the belt out on a clean, dry, flat surface.
- Reattach the belt to the shell (Image 2) and refasten the retainer straps. Make sure the retainer strap (Image 1) is underneath the belt cinching strap.
- Slide the Velcro loop tabs through the curved slots and press them down on the Velcro hook coins. Note: Do not pull them too tight. The end of the loop tab should meet the edge of the hook coin.
- Reattach the back pad to the shell .
- Insert the front polymer plate into the belt’s front pocket.